Home / Latest Posts / How Do You Change Your Address With The Postal Service

How Do You Change Your Address With The Postal Service

When you move, you need to advise the postal service of your new address. There are 2 ways that you can do this and there are different options that you can use when changing your address. To determine which service you need, you will have to determine if this is a permanent move or a temporary one.

Changing Your Address For Permanent Moves

If you are moving permanently to your new address, you will need to tell the postal service. There are 2 ways that you can do this with the easiest being online. The online route is considered more convenient as well.

If you choose to change of address permanent online, you will need to navigate to the move section of the USPS website. You will then be able to provide all of the information about the move. This will include your new address, when you are going to be moving and your current address. Once this has been submitted, you will receive an email confirmation of the change. The speed of this method is why it is the preferred method for most people and USPS.

The other option is to change your address in person at your local post office. To do this, you will need to get a Movers Guide from the post office. You will then have to complete the applicable forms and hand them back to the post office. It is important to note that you will not get any confirmation of the change when you use this method.

If The Move Is Temporary

If you are going to be moving temporarily, but for longer than a month, you should look at the mail forwarding service offered by the USPS. This service is free and will forward your mail as it comes in to your temporary address. As with the permanent address change, you can do this online and in person.

When changing your address online for the forwarding service, you will be charged a $1 fee. The service can also only be taken for 6 months initially, but you will be able to extend this by a further 6 months later on. It is impossible to use the forwarding service for longer than a year.

When applying online, you will need to provide your current address, your new temporary address and the dates for the service to be activated. When you apply in person at the post office, you will not be charged a fee but you will have to complete the forwarding mail forms. You will need to provide the same information for the in-person application as you would for the online one.

If you do not want to have your mail forwarded one piece at a time, you can sign up for the premium mail forwarding service. With this service, the USPS will hold your mail for a week and then send all of the letters to you by courier. This service does have a monthly cost and you will be informed by email if there are no letters being sent.

About Vincent Taylor

Check Also

Tips On Selecting Marketing Companies In Columbus Ohio

In Columbus Ohio, if you are trying to get more search engine traffic, there are …